NIE | Foreign Identity Number
The NIE number (Foreigner’s Identity Number) is the identity document for individuals who do not have Spanish nationality and is used to carry out various formalities. Some examples would be:
- Buying a house in Spain
- Renting a house in Spain
- Settling a will
- Incorporating a company in Spain
- Opening a Spanish bank account
- Taking out insurance
- Filing a tax return
- Contracting electricity, gas and water
- Contracting telephone and internet services
- Buying a car with Spanish plates
There are two ways to obtain your NIE:
- Through the Spanish consulate in your country of residence. To do so, you must make an appointment in advance. Please note that there are often long waiting times for appointments.
- Obtain a NIE as a matter of urgency through OTIS Advocaten Spanje. In this case you need to submit a power of attorney and a certified copy of your passport or identity card. We can take care of all the preparatory work and contact the notary for the execution of the power of attorney. All you have to do is make an appointment with the notary to sign the power of attorney. If you are in Spain, there is also the possibility to sign the power of attorney and legalise your passport in a Spanish notary’s office. This is usually much cheaper.
The NIE processing through OTIS Advocaten España is usually much faster than if it is done through the ordinary channels. The application is submitted at the Foreigners’ Office of the Spanish Police, and it will take approximately one week from the time of submission of the application to obtaining the NIE The NIE number will always be the same, even if you decide to live permanently in Spain. However, it is not an identity number. To identify yourself you must always present, apart from the NIE, your passport or identity card.
Tax activation of the NIE
In order to use the NIE number, it is necessary to activate it for tax purposes at the Spanish Tax Agency. This is a kind of registration with the tax authorities. We can also take care of this for you immediately after you have obtained your NIE, so that you do not lose any time.
You lost your NIE card?
Finally: if you have already applied for a NIE in the past, but lost the document, we can provide you with a duplicate. We will process the application in the same way with a power of attorney and a legalised copy of your passport.